Join the Cognascents Team
Cognascents is looking for a Senior Process Safety Engineer. A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience is expected for this role. This position is ideal for individuals who seek solutions to make things work – not those who find excuses to avoid work. Our clients value the support Cognascents provides because of the competency and commitment we offer – we tackle the work that others shy away from, and more importantly, we operate with integrity.
Who You’ll Work With:
You will work with a strong team of process safety engineers who provide pragmatic solutions to complex problems. The work will follow industry standards and best practices. As a member of the Process Safety Team, you will work in a culture of collaboration to deliver results for our clients – with multiple opportunities to learn and grow.
At Cognascents, we believe in individuals with strong integrity, competence, and loyalty to our customers, coworkers, families, and communities.
If this opportunity interests you or someone you know, please apply or send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Essentials Job Description:
As a Sr. Process Safety Engineer, your essential job functions will include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Be client-facing, with a proven record of building and maintaining positive and professional client relationships.
- Participate in and/or lead PSM audits.
- Manage and train other team members and engineering personnel with specific project tasks.
- Identify and implement cost-effective/value-forward solutions to meet clients’ PSM needs.
- Perform simulations and calculations to determine the range of outcomes associated with PHA scenario development.
- Facilitate alarm rationalization meetings, leveraging field experience to work directly with site operations and engineering teams.
- Develop and implement industry best practices and standards related to process safety management (PSM).
- Perform pressure relief and flare header design analysis, including the design of new pressure relief systems and/or resolving existing pressure relief system inadequacies.
- Be proficient in process simulation – steady state or dynamic – for oil and gas, petrochemical, and pharmaceutical industries, using Aspen Plus®, HYSYS, Symmetry, Pro/II, etc.
- PFD and P&ID development and reconciliation.
- Prepare, facilitate, scribe, and write reports for Process Hazard Analysis (HAZOP, LOPA, What-if, FMEA, HAZID).
- Manage data using MS Office products with strong typing skills.
- Understand and comply with all Cognascents and client safety procedures that govern the work being performed.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university.
- The candidate should be local and live in the Houston, TX area.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of process safety or chemical engineering experience in any combination of the upstream, downstream, LNG, and specialty chemicals industries.
- Must be able to legally work in the United States.
- Polished oral and written communication skills.
- Technical competence and creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
Travel requirements vary throughout the year, but no more than 35% of travel is anticipated.
- Base salary
- Medical benefits
- Simple IRA savings plan
- Paid volunteer time
- 9-80 work schedule
Cognascents is an established engineering firm deeply rooted in integrity, ethical values, and an unwavering commitment to quality. Our meticulous attention to detail sets us apart as we embark on a journey to excellence alongside our valued clients. We serve as a long-term engineering solutions provider to our clients, prioritizing service excellence with a 360-degree vision that encompasses every facet of your needs.
Our multidisciplinary team comprises more than 55 process and asset integrity engineers, guided by an accomplished and involved leadership team with deep expertise, and provides a unique and technical perspective to problem-solving. Our strength lies in pairing our deep technical expertise with a customer-driven approach to offer innovative solutions to even the most complex challenges. This synergy enables us to systematically analyze data to customize solutions to meet specific needs.