Join the Cognascents Team
Cognascents is currently seeking a Process Engineer with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience for this role. This position is ideal for individuals with a strong interest in process safety, a background in process engineering, and a desire to develop their career in this field.
At Cognascents, we recognize that Process Engineers excel in the Process Safety industry. Historically, we have hired personnel with this in mind, and it has proven successful! Now that those former Process Engineers have demonstrated their competency with our clients, the demand for more standard Process Engineering work has also increased. This role offers a unique blend of both sides of the industry – perfect for someone looking to become a well-rounded professional.
Who You’ll Work With:
As a Process Engineer at Cognascents, you will collaborate with a strong team of professionals in the field of process safety while retaining your Process Engineering background. As a member of the team, you will work on projects involving process hazard analysis, risk assessments, and ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations.
At Cognascents, we value individuals with strong integrity, competence, and loyalty to our customers, coworkers, families, and communities.
If this opportunity interests you or someone you know, please apply or send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Essentials Job Description:
The Process Safety Engineer will be required to develop technical and engineering drawings. The engineer will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Identify and implement cost-effective/value-forward solutions to meet clients’ PSM needs.
- Perform simulations and calculations to determine the range of outcomes associated with PHA scenario development.
- Facilitate alarm rationalization meetings, leveraging field experience to work directly with site operations and engineering teams.
- Red-line and/or develop process and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), equipment datasheets, cause and effect charts, and other relevant technical documents.
- Perform process safety time and time-to-event calculations to validate safeguard effectiveness.
- Develop and implement industry best practices and standards related to process safety management (PSM).
- Prepare, facilitate, and write reports for Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) such as HAZOP, LOPA, What-if, FMEA, and HAZID.
- Understand and comply with all Cognascents and client safety procedures that govern the work being performed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- 3 years of experience in the field as a process engineer or a closely related discipline.
- Familiarity with process hazard analysis techniques (e.g., HAZOP, LOPA) and risk assessment methodologies.
- Knowledge of process safety standards and regulations such as OSHA’s Process Safety Management (PSM) and EPA’s Risk Management Program (RMP).
- Proficiency in software to generate P&IDs, PFDs, Plot Plans, H&MBs, and technical engineering documents.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
Travel requirements vary throughout the year, but no more than 35% of travel is anticipated.
- Base salary
- Medical benefits
- Simple IRA savings plan
- Paid volunteer time
- 9-80 work schedule
Cognascents is an established engineering firm deeply rooted in integrity, ethical values, and an unwavering commitment to quality. Our meticulous attention to detail sets us apart as we embark on a journey to excellence alongside our valued clients. We serve as a long-term engineering solutions provider to our clients, prioritizing service excellence with a 360-degree vision that encompasses every facet of your needs.
Our multidisciplinary team comprises more than 55 process and asset integrity engineers, guided by an accomplished and involved leadership team with deep expertise, and provides a unique and technical perspective to problem-solving. Our strength lies in pairing our deep technical expertise with a customer-driven approach to offer innovative solutions to even the most complex challenges. This synergy enables us to systematically analyze data to customize solutions to meet specific needs.